- Published on Thursday, 06 June 2013 20:00
I spent way too much time today fighting with Joomla trying to turn something off. I need your help - if you know how to do this please let me know and I'll post an update to this article.
The problem is that somewhere in the inner workings of Joomla is some code that looks for anything that looks like an e-mail address, even in preformatted text. I was trying to post an article about troubleshooting e-mail, and I wanted it to leave the test e-mail addresses alone because they are part of the article and are not real e-mail addresses that anyone will want to e-mail.
The problem was even worse because Joomla's editor controls strip out < and > (less than/greater than) symbols in articles that are edited, and replace them with the HTML code < and > I disabled the TinyMCE editor and I was able to save the < and > symbols in the article unharmed. However no matter what I tried, the article as shown in the blog layout and rendered by Joomla to the browser contained mailto URLs. Also, the mailto URLs broke the formatting because somehow the browser or something required a new line before the URL. The < was orphaned in the line above, and the e-mail address was on the next line.
Note that everything was inside <pre>preformat</pre> tags. In my opinion Joomla should not be modifying HTML formatting or adding URLs to anything inside a preformat area.
As you can see it looks crappy. As far as I can tell there's no workaround, so if you know the answer to this please feel free to e-mail me and let me know!